Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Experiment time

Just after 8:00 this morning, I set up a raspberry pi with a camera in one of our upstairs windows. I set the pi to take a picture every 30 seconds and I let it run until just after 3:00 this afternoon. That is a total of 7 hours and it produced 840 pictures and I turned all of those pictures into a time-lapse movie.

At 24 frames per second, those 840 pictures resulted in the following 35 second movie of my driveway and my neighbors front yard.

I have no idea what compelled me to do that but since I did it, I decided to show it to you:


This morning I was browsing the Library of Congress website. Specifically the Carol Highsmith collection on the website. I like the pictures she takes so I sometimes browse through them.

Today I pulled up her photo of Battleship Cove in Fall River and immediately noticed a problem. For some reason, they had labeled the photo, "Battleship Cove, showing the USS Massachusetts and the USS John F. Kennedy. Fall River, Massachusetts".

I'm no naval historian but I know for a fact the John F. Kennedy is (was?) a giant aircraft carrier and the two ships pictured are a battleship and a destroyer.

I did a quick check to verify my knowledge of the cove and sent a message to the library. Within 3 hours, they replied back.

Why do I bring this up? Because this is the fastest response I have ever gotten from any level of government. Every other governmental agency should take a lesson on customer service from the Library of Congress.


Time to think about dinner and then see if there are any DVRs on my machine.

While I do that, you can do these:

No comments: