Sunday, May 12, 2013

Back home.

Before I forget: Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers out there.

*

Okay, on with the story.

On Friday morning, four of us - my youngest, my daughter, my wife and myself - loaded up some clothes and headed to Boston for the weekend. We checked into our hotel rooms, met up with our eldest child, collected his clothes and put them in the room while he went and received some much-anticipated instructions from his educational institution.

On Friday afternoon, we left our hotel rooms, walked across the street to the Boston World Trade Center and watched as my eldest child received his Doctoral Hood in an age-old ceremony known as the "Hooding Ceremony". (No one has ever said academics were good at naming things.)

After that we spent the day walking around the city, experienced some fine dining and, finally, some much-needed sleep.

Then, on Saturday morning, we all left our hotel rooms, walked across the street and watched my eldest receive his Doctoral Degree in an age-old ceremony known as "Graduation".

After that it was once again much wandering around the city, more fine dining, more wandering and more fine dining. Then, finally, some much-needed sleep.

Two things of note regarding this trip:

1) As a family, we are all extremely proud of his accomplishments. He completed his studies on time and graduated with his class despite spending most of his 5th and 6th years dealing with a disease that no one at the age of 23 should ever have to deal with.

2) I never want to experience fine dining again. We ate some seriously great food this weekend and right now, I feel like a tick on a dog that just can't let go. I think I'm going to pop at any minute. In other words, I'm extra fat.

I am, as always, the proud dad.

*

Now that we are back home and The Dog is once again reunited with his pack, I think it's time for me to call it a night and crash into a deep sleep. Despite the fact we stayed in a great hotel, it was not our house and none of us got as much sleep as we needed.

Oh, and in case you are interested, yes, I rolled down my window and yelled at the Red Sox as we drove past the Fenway. They need to stop losing and start wining. I know there are still more than 115 games left in the season and things will change but right now, they need to win some series.

*

Try these links if you want to:

No comments: