Sunday, May 7, 2017

Upset recovery

I spent a few hours this morning attending a session put on by my cousin Bob about how to recover when your aircraft is no longer in coordinated flight. This is known as "upset recovery" and Bob, who has been flying for a long time and competes in acrobatic competitions, knows more about being upset and recovering from it than most.

It was a good session and he gives a clear idea of some things I kinda already knew. The plane wants to fly straight and level and if the pilot puts it into a unusual attitude, it will try to correct itself as long as the pilot lets it. In other words, don't over-control the plane trying to get it back on track, use small inputs and let it control itself.

This is all very easy to say but when you find yourself suddenly upside down because you crossed the wake of a C-5, you panic and try to correct. Bob's point is that your fist goal should be to not panic.

My first goal is to stay the hell away from C-5's.


After I got home from that class, I settled in to watch the Red Sox massacre the Twins.

They went into the ninth inning with the score 7-6 in favor of the Red Sox. That was when the Twins fell apart and the Red Sox scored 10 runs in the ninth inning making the score 17-6.

The Twins came up to bat in the bottom of the ninth and managed to get zero more runs, making the final score 17-6.

I gotta be honest with you, the ninth inning was kinda boring to watch but I enjoyed it none-the-less.


You can enjoy these links if you want:

No comments: