Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Today is Veterans Day

If you see a vet today, buy them a beer.


For the last year, I have been unable to start my lawn tractor without using starter fluid and it's always kinda pissed me off. It's a quality machine with a high-end engine and I should be able to figure out what the hell is wrong with it.

When I turned the key to start it, it would just spin and spin but never fire. It was like it wasn't getting any gasoline into the carburetor. I looked at everything - the fuel jets, the fuel pump, the fuel line. Hell, I even disconnected the fuel line and spun the engine to verify that the pump was working and, trust me, it was. It squirted gas out like a small garden hose.

The engine is a Briggs & Stratton Intek v-twin delivering around 26 hp. I've downloaded the owners manual and researched every inch of the carburetor but to no avail.

Well yesterday I happened upon a Youtube video that explained how the manual choke works and how a loose throttle cable can prevent it from being engaged. This caused me to say out loud, "Sonovabitch! I bet that's it!"

I checked and found that the damned cable was loose and even though I set the throttle to choke, the manual choke was never engaging. I pulled out my trusty screw driver, loosened the nut holding the cable clamp, adjusted the cable so the choke was engaged when it was supposed to, tightened down the clamp and voila, the engine fired right up like it was fresh from the factory.

I may have mentioned this before but Youtube is my go-to place for most things mechanical. It seems that for every problem I run into with a piece of machinery, someone else has run into the same problem and they took the time to record the repair. I'm of the opinion that those people are saints and I usually click on whatever advertising they have on their video just to make sure they get some pay for their effort.

So anyways, I am a happy guy. If anyone needs any starter fluid, I have a brand new can.


You might enjoy these links:

No comments: