Sunday, May 30, 2021

No baseball today

The Red Sox / Marlins got rained out this afternoon. The game has been rescheduled to June 7 at 5:00pm

No hockey today but I did watch Scotland beat Canada in the curling mixed-doubles semi-finals.

Right now, I'm burning through some DVRs because it turns out that Curling, Gold Rush, Gold Rush: Bearing Sea Gold and How The Universe Works take up a lot of space on that little hard drive.

When I first started this afternoon, the recordings occupied 89% of the drive. As of right now, I've got it down to only 64% and by the time today ends, I expect to have it below 50%


If you have an Amazon network device like a Ring camera or an Alexa (echo dot), then you might have an issue. Seems that Amazon has decided to turn your device into an internet-sharing device.

Amazon has created something called "Amazon Sidewalk" that is designed to allow Amazon devices stretch your internet coverage. On the surface, this seems like a good thing. Amazon says it means your devices like your Ring doorbell or Ring camera will be able to get a better wireless signal when they are located far away from your router.

Unfortunately, it also means your neighbors Amazon devices can use your internet if they happen to be within range.

Personally, I don't want anyone using my internet so I turned off Amazon Sidewalk on my Alexa. It's pretty simple to do if you have the Amazon Alexa application on your phone. Here are the steps:
  1. Open the app and go to the menu.
  2. Click on "More"
  3. Click on "Settings"
  4. Click on "Account Settings"
  5. Click on "Amazon Sidewalk"
  6. Disable "Amazon Sidewalk"

The big problem I have with this is that I was never asked if I wanted this turned on. They just turned it on without my permission.


I'm going to watch some more DVRs and free up that hard drive space.

You can visit these if you want:

No comments: