Thursday, January 27, 2022

Another loss last night

The Bruins are falling a bit in the wildcard race. They are still in second place, behind the Capitals but the Capitals point lead has gone up to six points.

Hopefully they get back on track and start winning again.

Their next game is Friday against the Coyotes. Puck drops at 9:00 our time so I might get to see the first period.


The hardware for the top secret project arrived yesterday. It's a RPi 4 with all the add-ons like a case, power supply, heat sinks, a fan, etc... and I spent some time putting it all together. Once it was built, I loaded the server operating system and fired it up.

It booted correctly and I started the process of updating the OS with all the patches it needed.

So for the record, the hardware is from CanaKit and I can't say enough good about the quality. The case is high-impact plastic with numerous vents. The fan will run at 3.5v or 5v. Since this is not going to be a cpu-intensive machine, I set the fan at 3.5v to minimize any fan noise. The power supply comes with an ON/OFF switch which I thought was a nice touch, and the heat sinks came with sticky tape already applied. All I had to do was peal off the backing and stick them on the chips.

Once the updates completed, I rebooted it and checked everything for functionality. I created some necessary accounts and modified some security settings to lock out services that were not being used.

The machine is currently sitting in a box waiting for me to deliver it to the folks that will be using it. Once I bring it over there, I'll set it up, make some tweaks to their network, install the processes it needs and let them have at it.


Here are some links to stories that I found interesting:

No comments: