Saturday, March 12, 2022

The internet is a pain in my ass

Just when I think I've got things figured out, I discover that the internet has other plans for me.

I've created a login system for my webserver and everything is going great. It prompts a user to login and compares their credentials to the encrypted credentials stored in the database. If they don't have an account, it prompts them to create one.

A secure login is the first stage of almost any process I forsee creating. Want to download a picture I provided? Login and go get it. Want to upload a document to me? Login in and drop it in the widget.

The problem is, I do not have a digital certificate from an issuing authority for my server. That means there is no SSL encryption between the browser and the server, it's all plain text. This is a bad thing when it comes to sending passwords back and forth.

I'd use a self-signed certificate but most modern browsers treat servers with self-signed certificates as if they were bank robbers wearing striped shirts and little eye-masks. Visit one and at the very least you'll get a popup telling you that you are entering a very dangerous place. In the case of Chrome, you probably won't even be able to visit.

Anyone know of a place I can get a free digital certificate because I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay a few hundred dollars for one.


In baseball news, the Red Sox have invited Tristan Casas to spring training

The kid is a phenom and he was tearing the cover off the ball in triple-A last year. Assuming he has his mind straight and he can handle the pressures of major league baseball, he will be fun to watch.

I'm not sure what other moves the Red Sox are going to make. I would like to see them re-sign Kyle Schwarber and give some thought to a long-term deal for Enrique Hernandez.

Rafael Devers is still two years away from free-agency and Xander Bogaerts is four years away. That means there really is no push to get them signed this year. Next year, however, they need to think about keeping their two homegrown superstars. Those guys are fan-favorites who bring a lot of fun to the game.


The Bruins game starts at 7:00 tonight but tomorrow starts daylight savings time.

I considered going to bed early to avoid the bullshit that I usually have to deal with when the time changes but then I realized no matter what I do, I'm going to be screwed up.

Here are some links to contemplate:

No comments: