Thursday, January 26, 2017

My laptop is busted.

For the past year, one of the hinges on my laptop screen has been cracking. This morning it finally let go and now I have a laptop that is permanently open.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to secure it so it doesn't snap off entirely and baby this little beastie for as long as possible. I'd like to wait until I find gainful employment before I jump on the new laptop bandwagon because I think it might be time for me to make the switch to a Mac.

Microsoft finally pushed me over the edge with Windows 10. It's not that I think it's a terrible operating system but it does have some quirky behavior. For instance, I have a small server on my network and I back up to it on a pretty regular basis. Windows 10 allows you to set up automatic backups. Unfortunately, windows keeps forgetting my credentials and I have to log into the server at least once a week.

Also, they changed the process that runs programs, or as they now call them, "apps". The problem is these "apps" periodically shut themselves down with no explanation. I understand that programs sometimes go a little wonky but when it just goes away with no reason, it leaves you wondering if maybe you have something bad on your computer.

So the reason I want to wait is because Apple charges a lot for the MacBook and waiting until I'm employed means I can get a nice one with a few extra bells and whistles.


The folks that have been running our little ex-MMers group put together a job fair today so I spent a few hours there. I talked with a couple of recruiters and HR folks so hopefully something comes out of this.

As I've been saying all along, I'll keep trying until I find something that meets my requirements. I'm not going to put myself back into a shitty environment.


Here are a few links for you to check out.

Be careful and don't step in anything:

No comments: