Sunday, January 1, 2017

Welcome to 2017

If 2016 is any benchmark for what's to come, I suggest you hang on folks because it's gonna be a bumpy ride. Remember, please keep your arms and legs in the vehicle at all times.


On December 31, 2015, I made a series of predictions about 2016. Let's review them, shall we:
    No, this will not be the year that I retire. Despite my desire to do so, my wife has made it clear that I am not allowed to sit around all day doing nothing.
Well, that didn't pan out quite like I wanted it to. I lost my job but I refuse to retire. I'm unemployed and looking because I need to feel like I'm doing something productive. Hopefully I'll find something in 2017.
    No, I will not hit the lottery this year. Despite the fact that I purchase a multi-game Megabucks ticket every month, I have no luck whatsoever and I am confident that I will not win. Should that change, you will not know because I'll never admit to it.
No, I did not hit the lottery.
    Yes, my youngest son will graduate from college and this will fulfill his commitment to obtain a degree. Once he completes his schooling, he and his band will go on a whirlwind national tour in the hopes of making his college degree completely unnecessary. I hope they are successful beyond everyone's wildest dreams. Either way, I will, as always, be the proud dad.
So far, so good. He is gainfully employed and the band is still playing gigs.
    Yes, my daughter will be accepted into a school of veterinary medicine. This goes a long way in explaining entry number one on this list. I will, as always, be the proud dad.
Damned right she did. She's 1,200 miles away but they got these things called airplanes so we get to see her every once in a while
    Yes, my eldest and his wife will find a nice house to buy and turn into a home. When that happens, I will, as always, be the proud dad.
Yes they did. A nice place in Framingham with a pool and plenty of room for their dog Jack to chase rabbits and poop.
    Although I would like to lose some of the weight I've put on since I quit smoking, I won't make any resolutions to do so. That is because I do not make resolutions.
Wouldn't you know it, I've lost 22 pounds (according to my doctor) since December of 2015. Not bad for an old guy who is not on a diet.

I got one wrong and I missed a big one - my pilots license. Maybe I'm psychic. Maybe I should call Dionne Warwick and get a job on the Psychic Friends Network! (By the way, if you know what I'm referring to, you're old.)


Now that we all know how psychic I am, let's take a look at some predictions for this coming year:

My youngest will continue playing with the band and working at the college up in Keene but he will decide to start pursuing a masters degree, just in case the whole band thing doesn't produce the income he would like.

My daughter will still be pursuing her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine out in Iowa. I'm going to hedge on this one just in case Tufts decides they think they would like her to transfer back here to Massachusetts. She might just say yes to that but we won't know until it happens.

My eldest and his wife will continue to build their life together out in Framingham. He will continue to use the brains he was born with and ask his life-scarred dad for advice before doing something insane like buying a chainsaw to cut down trees or installing new light switches.

If she can finagle it so that she can keep teaching her students, my wife will be named Assistant Dean and she will continue having a great group of people working for her that she loves.

As for me, I will be working. Somewhere. Anywhere. I'm trying my best to avoid going back to the stress-filled cubicle world that I spent thirty years living in. I have no idea where I will end up but you can bet it will be doing something useful in our society.

No matter what happens, I hope we all have a great 2017.


I need to review the weather for the upcoming week because I want to fly.

If I can find a day with no wind, rain or snow, I'll schedule a plane and do some sight-seeing. Maybe head up to Keene and take my youngest up for a buzz around Monadnock and down the Quabbin.

While I spend some time reviewing the Metars and TAFs, you can visit these:

No comments: