Thursday, January 28, 2021

I wish I understood the stock market...

Back in April, I bought some shares of American Airlines (AAL) because, well, it seemed like a good buy. I believe I paid somewhere around $10.00 per share for it.

Yesterday evening, some bonehead on reddit decided he/she could drive up the stock of AAL by playing the game they've been playing with Game Stop (GME) stock and for a while, it actually worked. When I logged into the internet at 7:30 this morning to start my work day, AAL was listed at just under $40.00 per share.

I couldn't believe it! I was shocked! My first thought was, "Holy crap! I guess even a moron makes a good investment every once in a while!"

If I had been able to sell at that hour, I would have made a 400 percent return on my original investment. As far as I'm concerned, a 400 percent return in less than a year is every investors dream.

Then, the market opened, reality set in and the price settled down to around $18.00 per share. A far more realistic price for a comany that relies on people traveling during a pandemic-driven lockdown.

Still, it's not a bad investment if it holds on at that price and maybe one day I'll decide to sell. For the time being, I guess I'll just savor that one brief, shining moment in time when I thought maybe, just maybe, I might know what I'm doing.

⧫

The Bruins will play the second game of their two-game set against the Penguins.

Hopefully they can move past their current collection of injuries, win tonight's game and pick up two points to stay in contention in the east.

⧫

Here are some links that I found for you:

No comments: