Thursday, January 28, 2021

I wish I understood the stock market...

Back in April, I bought some shares of American Airlines (AAL) because, well, it seemed like a good buy. I believe I paid somewhere around $10.00 per share for it.

Yesterday evening, some bonehead on reddit decided he/she could drive up the stock of AAL by playing the game they've been playing with Game Stop (GME) stock and for a while, it actually worked. When I logged into the internet at 7:30 this morning to start my work day, AAL was listed at just under $40.00 per share.

I couldn't believe it! I was shocked! My first thought was, "Holy crap! I guess even a moron makes a good investment every once in a while!"

If I had been able to sell at that hour, I would have made a 400 percent return on my original investment. As far as I'm concerned, a 400 percent return in less than a year is every investors dream.

Then, the market opened, reality set in and the price settled down to around $18.00 per share. A far more realistic price for a comany that relies on people traveling during a pandemic-driven lockdown.

Still, it's not a bad investment if it holds on at that price and maybe one day I'll decide to sell. For the time being, I guess I'll just savor that one brief, shining moment in time when I thought maybe, just maybe, I might know what I'm doing.


The Bruins will play the second game of their two-game set against the Penguins.

Hopefully they can move past their current collection of injuries, win tonight's game and pick up two points to stay in contention in the east.


Here are some links that I found for you:

No comments: