Sunday, January 24, 2021

It's a football kind of day.

I like it when football games are played before my bedtime.

At 3:00 this afternoon, Tom Brady and the Buccaneers held off Aaron Rogers and the Packers and the Buccaneers won the National Football Conference championship.

Next up at 6:40 is the Bills and the Chiefs. Mahomes has been cleared of the concussion protocol but has been diagnosed with turf toe.

If you don't know what turf toe is or how it feels, allow me to enlighten you:
    Imagine that it's the middle of the night and you are running barefoot as fast as you can across a field. It's pitch black and you can't see anything. Suddenly, at a full run, you stub your toe on a small tree stump that's sticking out of the ground.
That's how turf toe feels.


The Bruins won...

Wait, let me rephrase that.

The Bruins kicked the Flyers ass last night. I didn't watch the game because I was watching one of the greatest series ever made, the Band of Brothers but I flipped over to the game during the commercials so I knew they were winning.

The game ended with the Bruins winning 6-1 and earning 2 points in the standings. They are now 1 point behind the Capitals in the east.

Yes, I know it's very early in the season and most folks will tell you standings don't matter but trust me, they do matter. As an example, the Sabres are currently in last place in the east. That means they have a hill to climb if they want to be in contention at the end of the season. The Bruins are one point behind first in the east. That means they just need to maintain to be in contention at the end of the season.

It's easier to maintain than it is to battle your way out of the basement.


No, I did not buy a mega millions ticket in Michigan recently so I am not the winner of the bazillion dollar prize.

If I was the winner, I would plan to take the lump sum of $740 million. After taxes, I would clear about $500 million. Let me tell you, if you can't live on $500 million dollars, you are doing something very wrong. If you put the money into a simple savings account that pays one percent, that's an income of $5 million per year. If you invest the money in dividend paying stocks, you will probably earn $40 million a year.

With that kind of money, you, your children, your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren will never have to work a day in their life. Hell, with that kind of money, your brothers, your sisters, your nieces and nephews will probably never have to work.

I come from a relatively large family. I had 4 surviving brothers & sisters who are all married and between us, we have 11 children. If I had $500 million dollars, I could give each of those 19 people (4 siblings plus 4 spouses plus 11 children) $5 million dollars each and still have $405 million dollars left. On my wife's side, she had no siblings but she does have a cousin that is like a sister to her. she's married and has 4 kids. That's an additional 6 people which comes to an additional $30 million, leaving me with $375 million.

Then again, I didn't win so that entire paragraph is moot and me and my relatives are all still poor.


Dinner is done and I await the start of the Bills / Chiefs game at 6:40

You might enjoy these:

No comments: