Friday, February 12, 2021

Sneaky bastards

My wife almost got caught by a hacker...

She received an email from Spectrum saying our statement is ready. For the record, she receives one of these emails every month from them so this particular email was not unusual.

When she tried to open the statement, her Macbook basically said, "Nope, that's not gonna happen" and tossed up a message box indicating it had no idea how to open the file.

Turns out the file was an .ISO (joliet) file that contained a .VBS text file that launched a powershell to a server to download an executable and run it. This was all contained in a file that was 64kb in size.

Fortunately, Mac's don't run powershell or visual basic so nothing happened but if anyone on a Windows machine had tried to open that file, they would have downloaded the executable and probably trashed their machine.

So if you get a notice from Spectrum that your statement is ready, be careful.


I was called "a unicorn" today by a guy I haven't talked to in several years.

Yesterday I was contacted by a tech firm looking to hire a mainframe security guy for a contracting job out in Marlboro MA. I wasn't interested once I found out it was a contract spot but since I knew someone who worked at the company that was looking for the contractor, I figured I would reach out to him and find out what the place was like.

Before I go any further with this story, no, I will not be taking a contract position. It's like being pimped out to the highest bidder and given a small piece of the funds for your effort. I am not in the business of making money for someone who doesn't have to do anything other than sell my skills. I am not a product.

So anyways, the guy I called is an actual employee of the company looking for my particular skill set. He was glad to hear from me and we chatted for quite a while about things. Eventually he said, "Man, you mainframe guys are like unicorns: magical beasts that we keep looking for but no one can find."

It's nice to be wanted. Just not as a product being sold at market like a bad piece of meat.


The Red Sox have brought another utility player on board. Marwin Gonzalez signed a one year contract with the team today.

This is a guy I've heard of. He's a better-than-average player who is also a switch-hitter. He can play both infield & outfield positions and he is only 31 years old. That's not terribly old for a utility player.

I'm beginning to feel better and better about the team that Bloom is building. I still don't know who Franchy Cordero is but his stats look reasonable. His 2019 OBP was .450. That means he managed to get on base around half the time he came to the plate.

I'll take a guy who gets on base half the time.


Yes, there is hockey tonight. The Bruins are still in New York to play game 2 of their two-game series against the Rangers.

While I yell at my tv and fall asleep early, you can visit these websites:

No comments: