Saturday, July 30, 2022

No, I don't live in Illinois

Looks like someone in Illinois won themselves $1.34 billion.

For the record, $1.34 billion is a lot of money. If you took the annuity, you (and your heirs) would receive $42.7 million (pre-tax) every year for thirty years.

I could live quite nicely on $42 million a year. After taxes I would probably clear $23 million. That's a lot of money coming in every year.


Yes, the Red Sox lost to the Brewers 4-1 last night.

Yes, they are losing to the Brewers (6-4 in the 8th inning) this afternoon.

Despite their inability to win a ball game lately, I'm still going to watch them. It's what I do.

The only time I stopped watching baseball was back in the 80s when they went on strike and I got pissed off that a bunch of grown men who got paid to play a game I loved to play suddenly decided to stop playing because they didn't get paid enough. I personally thought they were jerks for doing that and it turns out I was right.

Back then, you could take a family of four to a baseball game and not have to refinance your house to pay for it. As soon as the owners caved in and started paying exorbitant salaries, going to a baseball game became something only the wealthy can do.


Had an incident with my new car this afternoon when it refused to start and displayed a bunch of messages about "brake system failure", "low tire pressure", "radar system failure", etc...

I called the dealership and they said, "Your battery is dead. Can you jump it and bring it down here? We close at 2:00 but if you can get it started and head down, we'll stick around until you get here." I said, "You bet", jumped the battery and headed for Enfield.

I got there about 10 minutes after they closed but as promised, they were waiting for me. A quick checked showed that the battery had died (the mechanic said he thinks one of the cells went bad) and they slapped a new one in. He told me to expect all kinds of initialization messages for about 5 miles but I was good to go.

Trust me, I hate car dealerships but if you are looking for a place to buy a car, head over to one of the many Lia dealerships. I happened to buy mine from Lia Honda in Enfield, CT and they just proved to me that customer service is important to them. That means they proved to me that I am important to them. This is completely opposite of the experience we had at the other big dealership in the area. I won't mention their name but it rhymes with what you would call a small suitcase...


Enjoy these links:

No comments: