Tuesday, July 19, 2022

The home run derby kinda sucks

When I was a little kid, there was no home run derby. In 1960, there was a weekly television show called Home Run Derby that I believe only lasted one season. It was a matchup between that weeks AL and NL home run leaders. That was the first time the words "home run derby" were used and once that show went off the air, there was no home run derby.

Then, in the mid 1980's, the shittiest sports network on the planet, ESPN, decided to revive the home run derby but instead of a weekly show, they made it an annual thing. And they also decided to turn it into the flashy, gaudy, hot mess it is today.

I turned it on and was immediately assaulted by what had to be the worst rendition of the National Anthem that I have ever heard. It was performed by someone I've never heard of who is the poster child for that old saying, "He couldn't carry a tune in a bucket."

After that it was a game of who can hit the ball the fastest and maybe we'll count them, maybe we won't. It turns out that Schwarber hit one more home run than they actually counted and he lost because of that miscount.

I turned it off and put on reruns of Good Eats.

Tonight is the All-Star game on FOX. Fortunately the announcers are Davis and Smoltz and those two are not only tolerable, they actually have intelligent things to say every once in a while.
I'll watch some of it but since it starts at 8:00, it's a pretty good guess it won't end until 11:30 or midnight.

If it sucks, I have a couple of hours of DVRs I can watch instead.


Enjoy these links:

No comments: