Tuesday, April 2, 2013

1 down, 161 to go.

The Red Sox managed to play pretty well yesterday despite the fact that I wasn't available to offer my sage coaching advice.  They dumped on the Yankees by beating them 8-2.

I was listening to the guys on WEEI this morning and they were practically having an orgasm over Jackie Bradley. They kept calling him JBJ and fawning over his playing skills.

I appreciate his abilities and I certainly wish him a long and productive career with the Red Sox but as far as I'm concerned, the real story here is Jose Iglesias.

This is a kid who defected from Cuba, made a life for himself and signed as a minor league free agent with the Red Sox in 2009. In 2011, the Boston media was treating him like a superstar and wondering why the Red Sox weren't bringing him up to the majors.

Then in 2012, the Red Sox brought him up to the majors and the Boston media threw a nutty about the fact that he was having trouble hitting the ball. I kept getting into conversations with guys at work who kept saying, "He's not ready to come up." and I kept saying, "He has great eye/hand coordination, he'll learn ho to hit the ball. In the meantime, nothing on the ground gets by him. He makes Derek Jeter look like a stone statue."

Well, yesterday, he proved that not only is he one of the best defensive shortstops in the game, he also knows how to hit the ball.

I suspect that this young man will do more for the Red Sox than any of us can imagine and if it were up to me, I'd trade Stephen Drew to some other team for a few good minor league players. Hell, I'd even eat his nine million dollar salary.

*

These links are for you:



No comments: