Sunday, December 27, 2020

Air Fryer Adventures

Last night, I air fried some calamari and it came out pretty damned good. The only problem was our choice of calamari. The breading was loaded with pepper and none of us are big fans of overly-spiced food.

Todays experiment was french fries. I cut up some potatoes, soaked them in salt water for about a half hour to remove as much starch as possible and then dried them off as best I could. I coated them in a little bit of olive oil and put them in the air fryer at 380° for 9 minutes. When the 9 minutes was up, I took the basket out and moved the fries around just to make sure all sides of the fries got exposed.

Then I put them back in for 7 more minutes. That was a total of 16 minutes.

When I took them out, I would say the looked more like baked potato strips then french fries so I put them back in for another 6 minutes.

After 22 minutes, I took them out and some of them looked little like fries and others looked like baked potato sticks.

They weren't bad but after 22 minutes, I was hoping for more a french fry than a baked potato stick.

Next up will be some Ore-Ida Golden Crispers. I'm hoping that what they lack in "home-made taste" they make up for by actually being french fries.


I'm still trying to build out my server and turn it into a NAS so I can do backups but I'm running into problems with samba.

File Sharing in a windows environment is easy - right click on the drive and select "share". Windows does everything, and more, that you need it to do. It is the "and more" part that I don't like. Microsoft spends way too much time trying to predict what I want and installing things I don't need. That's why

I'll continue plowing through this until I have a shared drive available for everyone on my network. There are a lot of helpful sites on the internet but they all seem to have their on take on how to do this and each one is a little different than all the others.


As for my other little electronic device, the Arduino, I've been playing with the code for it. Basically, the Arduino code platform is C++ and I kind of know that. All I really need to figure out is the pins and how the bus communicates with them.

So far, I've managed to make a LED blink at different rates. Next up will be making multiple LEDs blink and maybe change color. Eventually, I want to make a sensor that detects movement, takes a picture and sends it to me. I want to know what The Sisters and The Small Dog do all day when we aren't around.


The Steelers have just won their division so I've got a team I can watch in the playoffs.

You should visit these informative and entertaining links:

No comments: