Saturday, December 26, 2020

My server is running but not serving

I managed to get an OS loaded on to my Raspberry Pi machine, get it connected to the network, mount the external hard drive and start a remote connection service on it. Currently, I can connect to the desktop GUI from my laptop so I don't have to sit in the basement. The external drive is connected and I can write data to it.

Next up is getting samba installed and configured so I can share the hard drive on the network. Then it's just a matter of telling the laptops where the drive lives and connecting their time machines to it. Then it will be backups for everyone!

I'm actually having fun doing this. Kinda geeking me up a little bit to be playing with linux again. I'm chmoding, greping and vi'ing all over the place. I'm thinking I should probably create a new user for each person that will be backing up so we can keep our backups separate from each other. That involves a unix/linux skill that I haven't used since the early 90's so I'll probably get pretty frustrated doing it.

All-in-all, I'm just happy that I got it running and connected.


I managed to eat way more food than I needed yesterday and then made the mistake of weighing myself this morning.

I should not weigh myself after days like yesterday. My metabolism doesn't burn off shrimp and cheese and pepperoni and prime rib and cookies and cake and whatever other edibles were in my general vicinity like it used to.

I suspect I have one or two more weeks where I'm eating way too much food so once the whole New Years thing is over with, I'll start thinking about not stuffing everything in my mouth.

Please note that I am in no way making any promisies or resolutions. As you long time readers of this bullshit know, every year my only resolution is to not make any resolutions and I intend on keeping that streak alive.


I'm going to enjoy some bad television, some air fried calamari and maybe a little leftover lasagna.

While I do that, you can do these

No comments: