Saturday, July 8, 2023

Very busy day

We spent the day putting our porch back together and managed to complete 90% of it.

The floor of our porch is concrete with stick-on rug squares and I pulled all the rug up around the perimeter. That meant the painters had about 8 inches of no rug around the walls and could paint without worry. I also removed all the screens and the two doors.

The other day I had put the rusty door hinges into some white vinegar to soak. This morning I used my wire wheel to strip off all the remaining rust and some old paint. Then I painted the hinges along, with the screws, a nice gloss black.

After that I put all the screens back up. Doesn't sound like much until I tell you it entails driving 180 screws. It's tedious work but now it's done.

By then the hinges were dry enough that I could put them back on the doors and put the doors up. I also installed new door closures. After that it was replacing the two electrical outlets with nice new weatherproof outlets.

Now all that's left is to put the rug back down and that will get done tomorrow.

Oh, and I also put up two shutters, one of which had to be customized to fit against a sloped roof. And by customized I mean I cut the bottom off at the same angle as the roof.

And last but not least, I put a brass kick plate on the garage door.
The Door


The Red Sox won again last night, beating the Athletics 7-3.

As for this afternoon, they are currently in the sixth inning and the Red Sox are up 9-2.

This is making me happy.


Now it's time for dinner. Cod is the choice today.

Here are a few links:

No comments: