Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Bad night for the Red Sox

The Astros beat up on the Red Sox pretty good last night and it sucked to be them.

Let's hope tonight's game goes a bit better for them.


The big deal this evening is the Bruins @ Islanders game.

This is a "win or go home" game for the Bruins so I hope they win. Trust me, I will be yelling my sage advice to them via my special coaching TV if they aren't playing to win.


Okay, enough sports, let's talk about nerdee stuff.

One of my recent goals with building a linux box was to create a homemade security camera system using a couple of old webcams I have lying around.

So far, things work but not well. I'm having difficulty tuning the system so it makes sense. For instance, I'm pretty sure having it snap a still picture every tenth of a second while storing video of an event is a bit much and will probably fill the hard drive with stuff I don't need.

Another item is the sensitivity to motion. It seems to think that every time a cloud goes over and casts a shadow on the ground, that's motion and it starts snapping pics like crazy and storing video.

Basically, I'm creating something that should only store video when it detects actual motion. I don't want the pictures. I also want it to send a notification to my phone that it has detected motion.

So far, the motion thing is too sensitive, the picture thing is unnecessary and the notification thing doesn't work.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to take one of the camera's apart so I can remove the IR filter. With the IR filter removed, the camera essentially becomes a night vision camera.

Yes, I'm a nerd but it keeps me out of the bars.

Well, it "kinda" keeps me out of the bars. If it wasn't for doing stuff like this, I'd probably be hanging out at Tommy's way more than the every other week I do now.


I'm going to spend my evening swearing and yelling at an old Dell computer turned into a linux video security system as well as the Bruins & the Red Sox.

While I do that, you can do these:

No comments: