Monday, June 14, 2021

Camera systems for everybody!

My project of turning an old PC into a linux based security camera system is moving along nicely. So far I have two cameras, one webcam plugged into a Raspberry Pi that delivers it's video over the network and the other webcam plugged directly into the server. I have one more Raspberry Pi that I'm thinking of using but not with a webcam. Instead I think I'll buy a Raspberry Pi cameras that plugs directly into the motherboard.

The server displays the feed from both cameras via a web page and when it detects motion of any kind, it starts an event and saves the video as an avi file. It also sends me a text message telling me what time it detected the motion. This is a handy little feature but I did my testing in the basement and every time one of The Sisters went down there, I got a text message. I must have gotten 20 text messages yesterday afternoon.

In the long run, this is just a fun little experiment and I'll probably never run a camera system at my home but if I do decide I want one in the future, I now know how to build one. And by building it myself, I know that it doesn't store the video in some cloud somewhere.

I am not a big fan of storing private information or videos on some internet service somewhere.


The Red Sox got busy yesterday and today trying to shore up their bats and their pitching.

Weber and Brennan have both been designated for assignment which means if no other team picks them up, they will be playing in Worcester for a while.

As for the guy they picked up from the Mariners, Rios, I've never heard of him. I looked at his stats and I'm not overly impressed. He's a reliever who has pitched a total of 3 innings with an ERA of 9. That kinda sucks.

I guess we'll just have to see how he does when the time comes.

It is good to see Chavis back because when he's hot, he hits the ball well. And trust me, they need guys who can hit the ball.


Let's hope the Red Sox play well this evening and win. That will split the series with the Blue Jays.

While I watch them play, you can click on these:

No comments: