Thursday, June 3, 2021

They did not get swept

The Red Sox discovered their bats and managed to beat the Astros this afternoon 5-1. This was the fourth game in their four game series and after losing the first three games, they needed this win to avoid a sweep.

Tomorrow evening they open a three game series against the Yankees in New York. Hopefully they take advantage of a struggling Yankees team and win all three games.

As things stand right now, they are two games behind a streaking Rays in the ALEast. Personally, I don't think the Rays are built to sustain the level of play they've had recently so I'm not too worried about them but it would be best to get ahead of them.


We went grocery shopping this afternoon and discovered they had replaced the "Masks Required" sign with one that said, "Masks Required for Unvaccinated customers".

I gotta admit, it was kind of weird to see everyone walking around without masks. I told my wife, "When we all started wearing masks a year ago, we thought it was weird for the first month or so. Give it another month and we'll be used to seeing people without masks."

I'm looking forward to the day when we don't think it's weird that people aren't wearing masks.


I went shooting for the first time in almost two years yesterday.

My neighbor and I went to a local club and ran a few hundred rounds through various handguns and long guns. My neighbor is new to shooting and he's only fired rim fire (.22 cal) pistols. When I asked him if he wanted to try my 9mm, he said "Absolutely!"

After loading it, showing him how the safety worked and letting him know that unlike his brand new "Massachusetts Castrated" handgun, this one was double action and it will go off if you just touch the trigger. He said, "Okay, I got it". He raised the weapon, pointed it downrange and proceeded to rapid fire three shots before managing to get his finger off the trigger.

He put the safety on and set the gun down on the bench, looked at me and said, "That's enough of that. I think I'll stick with my .22"

So anyways, it turns out that I can still hit the broad side of a barn with my handguns. I can also hit a target the size of an orange at 100 yards using my .243 rifle. I know this because we were using clay pigeons (skeet targets that shatter when hit) as our targets and I shattered several of them at that distance.

One of them I hit dead center which blew out just the middle of the target:

Not bad for an old guy who hasn't been at the range for a long time.


The Bruins / Islanders game starts at 7:30 this evening.

While I watch hockey and swear at my linux server, you can click on these:

No comments: