Friday, June 18, 2021

Late baseball

The Red Sox @ Royals first pitch is scheduled for 8:00 this evening and based on recent performances, I suspect this game will end sometime between 11:00 and 11:30. That is way too late for me.

I will make every effort to watch at least 6 innings, possibly 7 but the reality is I might not make it past 5 innings.

As I type this, the Red Sox are half a game behind the Rays and five & half games ahead of the Yankees. If things go the way I think they should go, the Red Sox will beat the Royals, (possible but not assured) the Rays will lose to the Mariners (not likely) and the Yankees will lose to the Athletics (highly likely). That would put the Red Sox in first place, half a game ahead of the Rays and at least six games ahead of the Yankees

Guess I'll know how it all turned out tomorrow morning when I wake up and check the interwebs for box scores.


Allow me to bring some clarity to the busted wheelchair saga from last night.

Over the last year or so, my mother-in-law has managed to mangle the brakes on her wheelchair and I would go over periodically to straighten them out and adjust them. After a year of her bending them (she uses the brake extension handles to lift herself out of the chair), the metal became so weak that stress fractures appeared and it was obvious that they were about to break off. So I ordered some replacements and installed them last week.

Now for the problem - anytime you order a replacement part, you never know what you are getting. Turns out that the brakes I installed were held together by bolts that didn't have any locking nuts on them and one fell out, leaving the brake in the locked position.

Today, I wen back over but this time I brought a tube of Loctite "permanent threadlocker" and made sure that every bolt/nut on those breaks got a liberal coating of that stuff.

I'm no genius but I do know that Loctite makes a pretty good product. If they say their threadlocker is permanent, I believe them.


I'm gonna watch a little bit of the U.S. Open and then switch over to baseball.

Enjoy these links:

No comments: