Monday, August 7, 2023

Let's see what tonight brings

The Royals are in Boston to play the Red Sox and if the Red Sox lose any of these games against the Royals, I will be very, very disappointed.

The Royals are the second-to-last team in the AL with a .319 record. The Red Sox should be able to win all four games of this series without any problem.

At least, that is what I'm hoping for...


About two or three months ago, I noticed that my cell phone suddenly started telling me it had a 5G connection while I was at home. That tells me that Verizon finally got around to installing 5G equipment on the cell tower that is about a half mile from my house.

Also about two or three months ago, I started experiencing service outages with my Spectrum internet and Spectrum phone service. Usually around 5:00 in the afternoon, my modems (both phone and internet) would suddenly reboot. Sometimes they did it only once, sometimes they did it twice. This wasn't every day, it was usually once a week or so.

On Saturday evening, both modems suddenly went into a reboot loop and it went on for quite a while. After a half hour of no internet, I decided to call Spectrum.

I got ahold of a pleasant young man named Alex who, despite being a New York Yankees fan, took a look at my modems and said, "Oh boy. Those modems are up and down constantly. The signal coming into them is really bad. I'm going to schedule a service visit." We chatted for a few more minutes about how bad both of our chosen baseball teams were and he told me to expect a visit on Sunday evening.

Yesterday, a very helpful young man named Brennan, who is a Red Sox fan, arrived at my house and started checking everything out. He started at the junction box on the outside of my house and said, "The signal looks great here. Let's take a look in the house."

We made our way to the basement where he tested the signal to the modem. His exact words were, "That sucks". Then he took one look at the amplifier and multiport cable hub the last Spectrum guy that visited my house had installed and he said, "I know exactly what is wrong. All of those open lines you have, along with this signal amplifier, are picking up the 5G cell signals and it's causing a lot of interference on the line."

Turns out that having an open cable line running to every room in my house created a giant antenna that is tuned nicely to receive the new 5G cell tower signals.

He removed the large multiport cable hub, installed a smaller multiport hub with just enough space for the actual cable equipment we have in the house (two television boxes, an internet modem and a telephone modem) and tested again. He said, "That is much better. I'm not seeing any signal drop at all."

So, if you live in my neck of the woods and have recently begun experiencing cable/phone/internet issues, it might just be because you have open cable lines that are picking up the latest fifth generation cell signals..

Oh, and yes, my internet speeds are still just fine:


Either the local news station I was watching this morning had a major typo or Goofy Joe is handing money out to people that don't deserve it:

I'm leaning towards it being a typo but I would not be surprised to learn that they are handing out money to people that don't deserve it.


Time to figure out what to do about dinner.

Here are some links:

No comments: