Monday, January 23, 2023

New outlets and faceplates for everybody!

We had some work done in our living room and I decided to replace all the electrical outlets and faceplates.

I'm please to say I only had to put a little bit of plaster on one spot and I only got electrocuted once.

The first plug I took out managed to rip out a large chunk of wallboard with it, enough so that the faceplate didn't cover the damage. After patching, drying and repainting, I learned my lesson and the remaining faceplates / outlets got a quick outline with a razor knife to break any old paint.

I managed to do one switch, one telephone and five additional electrical outlets without any further problems or damage. Then I got to the seventh outlet...

Turns out there are two circuits in my living room and I had turned only one circuit off.

On the seventh outlet, I unscrewed the faceplate, unscrewed the outlet and proceeded to pull it out of the work box. That was when I switched my grip and I grabbed the outlet by it's sides. By doing that, I placed my thumb on the "hot" screws and two of my fingers on the "neutral" screws of a live circuit.

Thankfully I was wearing rubber sole'd shoes and I was standing on a wood floor, neither of which are good at conducting to ground. That meant that the electricity only flowed between my thumb and fingers. My hand got more than a little tingly but the rest of me avoided any electricity-induced issues

So now I know - there are two circuits in my living room...


Yes, I watched both hockey and football last night. Yes, the Bruins won, again, and the 49ers won.

The Bruins beat the Sharks 4-0 last night, maintaining their 12-point first-place lead in the NHL.

Their next game is tomorrow (Tuesday) against the Canadians.

As for football, both teams I want to see in the Superb Owl have advanced to the conference finals.

This Sunday at 3:00, the 49ers will by in Philadelphia to play the Eagles. After that, at 6:30, the Bengals will be in Kansas City to play the Chiefs.

Unfortunately, the Bruins will be playing the Hurricanes at 5:00 on Sunday so there will be some channel-flipping going on.


Time for food and then DVRs.

Here are some links:

No comments: